1.31.2015

Book Review: Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis.

Alias OmnibusAlias Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis
Hardcover, 720 pages
Published: November 4th 2014 by Marvel (
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase Link: Amazon

Description From Goodreads:
Once, Jessica Jones was a super hero. But not a very good one. Now a chain-smoking, self-destructive alcoholic, Jessica runs Alias Investigati ons - a one-woman private-investigative firm specializing in superhuman cases. But Jessica's life becomes expendable when she uncovers a famous hero's true identity. Thrust into the midst of a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels, has Jessica burned too many bridges to turn to old friends for help? Plus: Jessica investigates the disappearance of a teenage girl rumored to be a mutant in a prejudiced small town.

COLLECTING: ALIAS 1-28, WHAT IF JESSICA JONES HAD JOINED THE AVENGERS?


My Review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm going to keep this short: I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to read ALIAS. In all honesty, it is one of the best comics I've ever read. Yes, Jessica's back-story is far from pretty - it's horrible, it's disgusting, and it's probably the reason I put off reading this series for so long - but Jessica is such a well-written, well-rounded character that it is hard not to like ALIAS.
 
The fact that A.K.A. JESSICA JONES (which is based off the ALIAS comic books) starts filming in February is what forced me to finally sit down and read ALIAS. I'd seen bits of her superhero past online, I'd read about Killgrave and how disgusting he is/what he did to her, and that did put me off of the book for a long time because I wasn't interested in reading that, but honestly? Seeing Jessica overcome all of that? To see how the character survives? It's a fantastic read. She is easily one of my favorite comic book characters now (right behind Black Widow, Captain Marvel, and Kamala Khan).

I would highly recommend this comic, although I should note it is part of Marvel's MAX line, meaning it is meant for adults. (The content is very graphic as is Jessica's language.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment