5.12.2013

Book Review: Apollyon (Covenant #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Apollyon (Covenant, #4)Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Paperback, 345 pages
Published: April 4th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press 
Review Copy: ARC From Publisher
Purchase: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble
Description from GoodReads:
Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

My Review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, I would like to apologize to Spencer Hill Press for taking so long to post this review. I meant to post it two months ago; unfortunately, things have been a bit crazy on my end. Sorry!

I thought that Deity destroyed me. I was wrong. Apollyon nearly killed me.

What I love most about Jennifer’s books is that it really is easy to lose myself in the world she creates.

Apollyon was no different.

Oh. My. Gods. What a ride.

I’m going to try to make this a worthwhile review, while also making sure to skip over any spoilers (because this is not a book you want spoiled for you, at all).

If you read Elixir, which you really should before diving into Apollyon, you’ll have an idea of what to expect since it pretty much picks up where that novella leaves off.

Alex is still unstable, and Aiden is still doing his best to help her. He refuses to give up hope that she is still in there – that there is a way to break the connection to Seth. It’s an emotional way to open the story, but it definitely prepares readers for the tissue fest that lies ahead. (Don’t worry, there is still plenty of action, but there will be tears, people.)

This story focuses a lot on Alex’s growth as a character. She’s not the same snarky brat we first met back in Daimon. She’s a lot more mature, a lot more selfless, and a lot stronger. She has gone through so much, but it is nowhere near what she is forced to go through in this book. (Seriously, that ending? Gah. You’re killing me, Jenn!)

A few other things worth mentioning:

Aiden: The relationship between Aiden and Alex is perfect, especially with this installment. He is Alex’s rock, and even though she’s more than capable of taking care of herself for the most part, I don’t think that she would’ve been capable of the things that she did in Apollyon without him. He rooted her, gave her strength, and vice versa.

Death: There is one death in this book that really, really got to me. It wasn’t a character that I particularly cared for early on, but as the series progressed, I really came around to them. And the way the death was written, it was incredibly heartbreaking.

The final battle: When our mystery guest arrived, I had an idea of who it would be, and while I was right, I wasn’t expecting THAT. I was on the edge of my seat during that chapter.

Seth: My thoughts on Seth kept going back and forth. At times I hated him, and at times I felt for him. It isn’t easy to make readers feel sorry for the villain of the story, but Jennifer managed to make me care about him.

I wasn’t expecting the emotional punch that I received from this book. At all. And even though it hurt, I loved every second of it. It gives you an idea of what is coming with the final installment, Sentinel.

I’m going to be sad to see this series end later this year. I’ve come to really love these characters (with some exceptions) and it is going to suck to see their stories come to an end.

If you’ve been putting this series off, you’re crazy. This is a must read series!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Loved this book and series can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete