7.27.2012

Book Review: Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Paperback, 416 pages
Expected publication: August 14th 2012 by Entangled Teen 
Review Copy: NetGalley
Pre-Order: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble

Description from Goodreads:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.


My Review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jennifer has done it again, folks.

Jennifer has a way of pulling readers in from the very first word, leaving them completely lost in her words until the very final page. The character development alone in ONYX is utterly fantastic, and the romance isn’t too shabby either. ;)

ONYX is everything that a sequel should be. In fact, for me, ONYX is even better than OBSIDIAN.

I adore Armentrout’s Covenant series, I do, but the LUX series may just be my favorite out of the two. Alex is a kickass heroine, yes, but Katy? She’s tough in OBSIDIAN, but Katy in ONYX? Everything that she goes through in this novel forces her to fight for the things that she cares about, and boy, does she fight.

Since I could go on all day about this one, I’m going to highlight what I think needs to be discussed:

Let’s start by going back to SHADOWS, shall we? I know that some readers prefer to skip over novellas that are released in between the next series installment, and I can understand why. Some of the novellas can be filler material (when I say some, I do mean some – most of them do actually move a series along). But if you’re planning on skipping SHADOWS and jumping right into ONYX? I’m going to have to suggest you reconsider. Yes, we hear about Bethany and Dawson in OBSIDIAN, but when I say that it is vital that you read SHADOWS, I do mean it is vital.

Now that we’ve got that covered:

Daemon Black: In ONYX, we see an entirely different side to Daemon, and I do mean an entirely different side. Yes, he’s still sarcastic, and at times, he can be a jerk. But in ONYX, we get to meet the softer side of Daemon, the side that discusses feelings, and actually makes it a point to showcase his emotions. In OBSIDIAN, there's a blossoming romance between Daemon and Katy, but in ONYX, it finally develops into something more. (Fangirl translation: OMGgjidhgkdhkhYEShghkhgfkhfgkYAYfkhkgh).

The new guy: I’m not going to go into much detail here, as I don’t want to ruin anything. I will just say this: within the first few pages of his character being introduced, you’ll develop a certain feeling towards him, and chances are that you’ll be right.

The action: Oh, hello there, action! There is so much that goes on in ONYX. It is undeniably a darker story than OBSIDIAN is. There’s a ton of action, but it isn’t overdone. Jennifer manages to balance it well, never overdoing it or throwing it in just because. The only downside to the action scenes is just how emotional there are; I don't think I've ever screamed at a book so much (my emotions were all over the damn place during the action scenes).

Katy: As I’ve already stated, Katy grows throughout this story. The girl at the end of ONYX is a far cry from the girl at the beginning of ONYX.

The ending: Holy. Smokes. Did that actually just happen? Seriously?! And now I need to wait for the next book? You’re killing me, Jenn. You’re killing me, but it’s okay.

I love where Jennifer is taking this series. The ending of ONYX will leaving you desperate for the next book, yes, but it doesn’t end on a terrible cliffhanger (thank you for that one). It’ll be interesting to see what happens next with Daemon and Katy, and well, with a certain character back in the picture.

If you haven’t done so yet, I’d suggest pre-ordering ONYX, and while you're at it, you should plan on skipping work (or canceling whatever plans you have on the release day), because once you start reading this one, you’re not going to be able to put it down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment