8.02.2016

Book Review: Order in the Court (The Survivor's Club #2) by Casey Lawrence

Order in the Court (The Survivor's Club, #2)Order in the Court by Casey Lawrence
Review Copy: Provided via NetGalley
Release Date: August 4th, 2016
Pre-Order: Amazon

Description From Goodreads:
After witnessing the murders of her three best friends and having their killer arrested, seventeen-year-old Corey Nguyen is having trouble adjusting to life after high school. As a freshman in college, all she wants is to put her dark past behind her, make some new friends, and keep her head down.

Her new world comes crashing down when the killer changes his plea to not guilty, claiming he was coerced into a confession. Corey must now testify in a murder trial, making the panic attacks and flashbacks to the night of the murders intensify. To top it all off, she's pretty sure her mother is having an affair with the prosecuting attorney. To Corey’s dismay, the story clearly doesn't end with the murder of her friends.


My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Every now and again you come across a book that sticks with you long after reading it. Casey Lawrence's The Survivor's Club series will be those books for me.

When I finished the first book, Out of Order, I was hesitant to read Order in the Court as I just didn't think this was a story that needed to be stretched out in multiple books. However, now that I've finished Order in the Court? I can safely say that Lawrence did an excellent job with this sequel.

The story picks up a few months after Out of Order and covers the span of the trail regarding the murders that took her friends. To say it's a powerful story would be putting it lightly. See, Lawrence doesn't just use this book as an opportunity to tell a gut-wrenching story about a girl coming to terms with the trauma she experienced. She also uses it to tackle the stigmas surrounding bi-sexuality. It's something that most books, especially Young Adult & New Adult books, don't typically cover, and yet, Lawrence does it with such skill and ease.

In fact, I enjoyed this book so much, my only problem was the ending. I liked where we left off with Corey, yes, but there were still many questions left unanswered. Most notably? That pregnancy. I do wish that there'd be an epilogue for this book, but even without it, Order in the Court is still a highly enjoyable read worthy of your time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment