7.14.2016

Comic Reviews: Monstress -- Issues #3 & #4 by Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda

Monstress #3Monstress #3 by Marjorie M. Liu
Review Copy: Provided by NetGalley
Purchase: Trade Paperback -- Single Issue
Publisher: Image Comics

Description From Goodreads:
Maika must confront the deadly secrets that live inside her.

My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having now read the first three issues of Monstress, I can safely say that this is a series that only continues to get better as it progresses.

The relationship between Maika and Little Fox is a wonderful one. They're both such incredibly different characters, but they work so well off of one another. This issue is the best example of that. Even though Little Fox is understandably terrified of Maika, both characters are unable to leave one another behind. For Little Fox, as scary as Maika is, she offers a sense of security. Whereas, with Maika, although she won't admit it, she has come to care for Little Fox.

What's most exciting about this issue is that the story begins to finally expand here. We learn more about what's going on with Maika, while also getting a better look at just how deadly Maika's world is. I can't wait to see how the story all wraps up over the course of the next three issues.

Monstress #4Monstress #4 by Marjorie M. Liu
Review Copy: Provided by NetGalley
Purchase: Trade Paperback -- Single Issue
Publisher: Image Comics

Description From Goodreads:
Maika's world becomes even more dangerous.


My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although this issue felt like more of a filler issue, it was still enjoyable, if only for the page that saw Master Ren and Little Fox reunite. (I don't think I've ever adored a secondary cast as much as I have the one in Monstress.)

This episode does become a bit dark, although that's to be expected as each issue has continually grown darker in tone. However, we're also finally beginning to learn more about Maika and the monster/God inside of her, and while I still have plenty of questions, the series is doing a rather great job at answering most of them with each new issue.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment