7.13.2016

Comic Review: Monstress - Issues #1 & #2 by Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda

Monstress #1Monstress #1 by Marjorie M. Liu
Review Copy: Provided via NetGalley
Purchase: Trade Paperback -- Single Issue
Publisher: Image Comics

Description From Goodreads:
Steampunk meets Kaiju in this original fantasy epic for mature readers, as young Maika risks everything to control her psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, placing her in the center of a devastating war between human and otherworldly forces.

My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is another case of "why the hell did I wait so long to read this?" I've actually had the first issue since it was released awhile back, but I never really got around to reading it. And then I saw that the first volume - of the six issues - was available to read on Netgalley, so I went ahead and downloaded them figuring I'd finally give it a go. What I found once I finally sat down to start the series was a gem of a comic.

As I've stated before, I'm a huge fan of female led comics and comics from female creators, so Monstress has always been on my radar for that alone. But man, was reading this first issue a heck of a delight. With absolutely stunning artwork, and a wonderfully developed story that sees a bad-ass, flawed female character front and center, Monstress is easily one of my favorite comics this year. It's so easy to get lost in the world that Liu creates here, that I'm actually kind of thankful I waited until multiple issues had already been released, as I'm not sure I could have dealt with the waiting between issues.

If you haven't already, be sure to give Monstress a read. You're in for a treat, folks.

Monstress #2Monstress #2 by Marjorie M. Liu
Review Copy: Provided via NetGalley
Purchase: Trade Paperback -- Single Issue
Publisher: Image Comics

Description From Goodreads:
Maika fights to cross the wall. Elsewhere, the Warlord makes her move.

My Review: 
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

And issue two was just as fantastic as issue one.

This issue has everything you could possibly want. Fully developed female characters that are front and center and straight up kick-ass, to a compelling story that constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat. Liu has crafted a masterpiece here. Monstress is a one of a kind comic, one that the comic world would be smart to learn something from. (I say this as someone that loves comics.)

The world that is showcased in Monstress is a fantastical one with talking cats, animal-human hybrids, and powerful magic. Aloud? Those may seem like quite a mismatch, and yet they work wonderfully within Monstress. You're able to dispel reality while tearing through the pages because of how strong the story is.

As I've said before, if you haven't already, give this series a read. It's a must.

View all my reviews

Check back as I'll be posting the reviews for episodes 3&4 and 5&6 

No comments:

Post a Comment