7.08.2016

Book Review: Edge of Glory by Magan Vernon

Edge of Glory (Friendship, Texas, #1)Edge of Glory by Magan Vernon
Review Copy: Purchased (Paperback)
Purchase: Amazon

Description From Goodreads:
"Welcome to Conti's. I'm Lia and I'll nguhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I froze. Directly facing me was Olympic swimmer, Jay Morningstar… and I just made an idiot of myself.

The rest of the table looked up to see me standing there with my mouth practically gaping. His coach, who I recognized from TV interviews, and even two other swimmers from the Olympic team... they didn't say anything, they didn't even blink.

"Uh… I mean…"

I couldn't even put together my words and Jay Morningstar was just staring at me with that Wheaties box smile and those icy blue eyes.

What was I supposed to say? Sorry I just made a weird noise, it's just that I have a poster of you on my wall where you are wearing nothing more than your gold medals, a smile, and a pair of man panties?
 
My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been following Magan's work since she released the first book in her My Alien Romance series, "How to Date an Alien". If there's one thing I've come to expect from her books? It'd have to be that each new story she releases is fun to devour. "Edge of Glory" is no exception. Is it a perfect story? No. I had some issues with it. (I'm not a fan of Instalove, and this book hits you with that right off the bat.) But it's a damn enjoyable read. In fact, I ended up staying up until 3 AM to finish it, unable to put it down.

"Edge of Glory" is everything you want in a New Adult rom-com novel. It's cute, flirty, and just fun to read. But my main reason for enjoying it so much is easily because of how it handles self-confidence. Sure, the romance is enjoyable - both Lia and Jay are great - but it's really getting to see these characters grow from where they are at the beginning to where they end up at the end that really makes this book. Writing a character with confidence issues can be tricky because you can either write a character that quickly becomes annoying, or just one that is highly unlikable - Lia is neither of these things, thankfully. There's a hell of a lot of growth with her character alone over the span of the novel, and seeing where she ends up at the end? And just how far she has come since breaking down her walls? It's pretty dang great.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment