5.09.2014

Review: Fray by Joss Whedon

FrayFray by Joss Whedon
Paperback, 216 pages
Published: December 8th 2003 by Dark Horse
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon

Description from Goodreads:
Hundreds of years in the future, Manhattan has become a deadly slum, run by mutant crime-lords and disinterested cops. Stuck in the middle is a young girl who thought she had no future, but learns she has a great destiny. In a world so poisoned that it doesn't notice the monsters on its streets, how can a street kid like Fray unite a fallen city against a demonic plot to consume mankind? Joss Whedon, the celebrated creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, brings his vision to the future in this unique tale. As inventive in the comics medium as in that of television of film, Whedon spins a complex tale of a skilled thief coming of age without the help of friends or family, guided only by a demonic Watcher.

My review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a huge Buffy fan, I’ve been meaning to read Fray: Future Slayer for some time now. And now that I have, I’m not entirely sure why I put it off so long.

Now, Fray isn’t Buffy. There will never be another slayer as awesome as Buffy, but Fray is still a great character. She kind of reminded me of a mix of Buffy and Faith – it was a good mixture of both characters, really.

This story is set in the future, one that doesn’t include Buffy. It’s a futuristic slayer story, complete with flying cars. The artwork is well done, and setting is wonderfully constructed. I enjoyed every minute of this comic. The normal Whedon dialogue is in there, Fray does have a few Buffy moments that made me smile, and there’s a big twist at the end that was rather spiffy.

I should mention that, with this being set way in the future, there are a few “out there” phrases. It doesn’t take long to catch on to what the characters are trying to say, so if you’re put off by the vocabulary in the beginning, just keep going. Don’t let that turn you off of the story.

If you enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I would highly suggest checking out Fray: Future Slayer. It is full of action, sass, and it features a strong female character that Buffy fans will surely love.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment