12.17.2013

Book Review: Poison Dance: A Novella (Midnight Thief 0.5) by Livia Blackburne

Poison Dance: A NovellaPoison Dance: A Novella by Livia Blackburne
Review Copy: Provided by Author
Purchase: Amazon
Published by: Lion's Quill Press
(first published September 12th 2013)
Description From Goodreads:
James is skilled, efficient, and deadly, a hired blade navigating the shifting alliances of a deteriorating Assassin’s Guild. Then he meets Thalia, an alluring but troubled dancing girl who offers him a way out—if he’ll help her kill a powerful nobleman. With the Guild falling apart, it just might be worth the risk. But when you live, breathe, and love in a world that’s forever flirting with death, the slightest misstep can be poison. Poison dance is approximately 14,000 words, or 54 printed pages.

My review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, I would like to apologize to Livia for taking so long to get my review up! I’m truly sorry!

Now onto my review:
Poison Dance is a novella that introduces us to the world of Blackburne’s upcoming debut, Midnight Thief, being released through Disney Hyperion in July 2014. A short read at only eighty-four pages, Poison Dance is a fantastic introduction to the world Blackburne has created.
This novella has some of the best world building I think I’ve come upon as far as novellas go. There was just enough detail for me to picture the settings as I read along without pulling me away from the story.
And the characters! They were so well developed! Even though the story is only seven chapters long, the development between James and Thalia feels natural – it doesn’t feel rushed. There’s this slow burn that leads up to the fantastic ending! (Seriously, the ending is all sorts of awesome and just made me adore James even more.)
I’m not sure what else I can say about this novella other than it is absolutely worth a read.
Blackburne has done a fantastic job with this novella. It’s a complete story that will leave you eagerly awaiting the release of Midnight Thief. The only bad thing I can think of? The long wait until July.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment