9.21.2013

Book Review: Out of Line (Out Of Line #1) by Jen McLaughlin

Out of Line (Out Of Line, #1)Out of Line by Jen McLaughlin
ebook, first, 250 pages
Published: September 6th 2013
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble
Description from Goodreads:
Desperate to break free…

I've spent my entire life under my father’s thumb, but now I'm finally free to make my own choices. When my roommate dragged me to my first college party, I met Finn Coram and my life turned inside out. He knows how to break the rules and is everything I never knew I wanted. A Marine by day and surfer by night, he pushes me away even as our attraction brings us closer. Now I am finally free to do whatever I want. I know what I want. I choose Finn.

Trying to play by the rules...

I always follow orders. My job, my life, depends on it. I thought this job would be easy, all the rules were made crystal clear, but when I met Carrie Wallington, everything got muddy. She's a rule I know I shouldn't break, but damn if I don’t inch closer to the breaking point each time I see her. I’m ready to step out of line. And even worse? I’m living a lie. They say the truth will set you free, but in my case…

The truth will cost me everything.


My Review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I purchased this one from Amazon after seeing numerous tweets about it while going through my timeline on Twitter. And I am so glad that I did.
Out of Line is a thoroughly enjoyable New Adult novel.
I love the New Adult genre but, there are times when I feel like I’m reading the same story line all over again. That isn’t the case with this book. At all.
I started reading this on my lunch break on Thursday, and it not been for work and my need to sleep, I would’ve finished it in one sitting.
Out of Line has it all: snark, steamy romance, and an exciting storyline.
My only problem was the ending. It is a bit of a cliffhanger. I mean, we do get the HEA, but there are still a ton of questions to come, though I’m sure they’ll be answered in the sequel.

A quick summary of the book:
Carrie is the daughter of a Senator – an incredibly overprotective Senator. She’s just starting her freshman year at college, believing that her father hasn’t sent any security to watch over her. She’s thrilled at the idea of freedom. And then in comes Finn. Her life changes almost immediately upon meeting him. With him, she seeks out ways to disobey her father; ways to have fun. But what Carrie doesn’t know is that her father did send security to check in on her, and when she discovers the truth, it’ll change everything.

My take on Carrie and Finn:
Carrie is a “good” girl, yes, but she isn’t a Mary Sue. I actually liked her. She’s snarky, she’s strong willed, and she’s someone that tries to help those that need it.
Finn is a great character. There were times in the book where I wanted to hit him, yes, but I did like him as a character. (And he is definitely swoonworthy.)

A quote that I liked:
Losing her had only made it all the more evident that I loved her. And all the more evident that I was an idiot too. The two kind of went hand in hand, didn’t they? Love didn’t come without a little bit of stupidity. Okay. A hell of a lot of it.

McLaughlin, Jen (2013-09-04). Out Of Line (p. 177). . Kindle Edition.
I would definitely recommend picking up Out of Line, especially if you’re looking for a different kind of New Adult title. It’s worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment