9.09.2013

Book Review: Frigid (Frigid #1) by J. Lynn

Frigid (Frigid, #1)Frigid by J. Lynn
ebook, 252 pages
Published: July 15th 2013 by Spencer Hill Contemporary 
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble
 
Description From Goodreads:
For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.


My Rating: 3.7 Stars
My Review:
I love Jennifer L. Armentrout’s books. Really. I do. In fact, I don’t think there’s been a single book of hers – of those that I’ve read – that I’ve rated below four stars. Until now.

Here’s the thing. I like Sydney and Kyler. They are adorable, and I was able to relate to their relationship, because I’ve been through one like it. I was glued to the pages, wanting to know what was going to happen between them.

The problem? As much as I liked Sydney and Kyler, I felt as though Frigid fell short for me, and it pains me to say that as a huge JLA fan.

I’m used to being surprised in Jenn’s books. Her Covenant and Lux books have always been able to keep me on the edge of my seat with anticipation, confusion, and even frustration at times. But I called the big reveal in Frigid shortly after that lobby scene. I fail to see how they wouldn’t have immediately thought of him. I mean, really? After the tension in that scene, and all of the bad things that start happening almost immediately after, you don’t even stop to think that he may be involved? Really? That bothered me. A lot.

I think the other thing that knocked this story down a bit for me was that there wasn’t enough story here. I found that Frigid focused more on the steamy romance scenes rather than an actual story. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a good romance story, and I adored Kyler, but those scenes were boarding on excessive.)

My overall opinion: I’d say Frigid was a book worth reading. I can’t say that I loved it as much as I have her other works, but it is still a good book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment