11.02.2012

Novella Review: Elixir (Covenant #3.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Elixir (Covenant, #3.5)Elixir by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Paperback, 80 pages
Expected publication: November 27th 2012 by Spencer Hill Press 
Review Copy: From Publisher
Download coming soon (here).  

Description from Goodreads:
Aiden St. Delphi will do anything to save Alex.
Even if it means doing the one thing he will never forgive himself for.
Even if it means making war against the gods.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars (ALL OF THE STARS!!!)

NOTE: If you have yet to read Deity, please, please skip over this review as I do not want to spoil anything for you.

Now, onto my thoughts about Elixir:
When I heard that Aiden was getting his own novella, I might’ve squealed a bit (okay, maybe a lot). I will happily admit that I’m an Aiden fangirl, and after the events that took place in Deity (especially near the end), I felt for his character. But the pain I felt for him in Deity is nothing compared to the pain I felt for him during Elixir.

Throughout the series, Alex has expressed her hatred of the elixir that is given to half-blood’s when put into servitude. So when Apollo comes to Aiden, telling them that giving Alex an elixir is the only way to stop her connection with Seth, Aiden initially feels fights back because he knows what the elixir does, and he knows how Alex feels about it. But they’re running out of options, and a war is on its way.

Aiden has always tried his best to protect Alex, even though, up until now, she’s been capable of protecting herself. We usually see a more restrained version of Aiden, but in Elixir, when he is forced to consider the prospect of losing Alex, we see a more determined, and on edge, version of Aiden. He’ll stop at nothing to protect Alex from not only the gods, but Seth.

Elixir is only a novella, but Armentrout manages to pack an emotional punch within these seventy-four pages.

I absolutely loved Elixir. It made me laugh. It broke my heart. It made me want to hit something. But I loved every single second of it.

If you haven’t checked out Armentrout’s Covenant series, you’re missing out on a fantastic series.

View all my reviews

FYI: Deity has been released early. While it'll be awhile before you can get the paperback (it looks like it won't be shipping for a few weeks from Amazon), the eBook is available now. What are you waiting for? Go purchase your copy! 

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! I need this book to come out before November 27th!!! I finished Deity and was like O_O I need to know what happens next! Apollyon couldn't come out sooner! I tried requesting an ARC of Apollyon but, i don't have enough followers yet. I will have to wait :( Thanks for the awesome review!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I won Program 13 this week!! Just thought I'd tell you :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, well Amazon tends to release SPH titles early, so there is always a possibility they'll release the paperback edition of Elixir early. But it isn't expected to go live on SPH's site until later this month.

      Waiting isn't fun, but at least you know with JLA her titles are always worth the wait. :)

      Oh! I hope you like Program 13!

      Happy reading!

      Delete