11.20.2012

Book Review: How to Marry an Alien (My Alien Romance #3) by Magan Vernon

How to Marry an Alien (My Alien Romance, #3)How to Marry an Alien by Magan Vernon
272 pages
Published: November 18th 2012 by Calta Press
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble -- Smashwords

Description from Goodreads:
Alex’s interstellar relationship has finally been sealed in the eyes of the human world, so now she can move on to her next step: college.

With Ace by her side and a new piece of jewelry on her finger, she thinks she is ready for anything. Well, almost anything.
Her new roommate holds a dangerous link to her past that Alex isn't sure if she can handle. Then there is the whole alien fiancĂ© thing. Every time she tries to get closer to Ace, he seems to pull further away. Top that off with a full summer class load and a few more alien attacks and it’s just another day for Alex.

Except this time she isn’t sure if marrying an alien will be the happy ending she’s hoping for.

**While the first two alien books were mildly tame, this book is a little different. I'm not saying it's Fifty Shades or anything, but Alex is eighteen, she's going off to college and she's been with her alien boyfriend for a year; there is guaranteed to be some heat. I'm recommending this for upper YA/New Adult readers.**


My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I started reading How to Marry an Alien while at work (thank you, Cloud Reader). Big mistake. It’s hard to focus on your work when all you want to do is read.

While I did have my issues with How to Marry an Alien, I do feel as though it was a satisfying conclusion to Alex and Ace’s story.

What I liked about How to Marry an Alien:
  • I really liked Lucy and Riley’s relationship in this book. Including a LGBT couple is amazing enough when it comes to a YA novel, but Vernon also highlighted the difficulties they face on a daily basis, managing to tie it in with Alex and Ace’s own relationship.
  • Monte. Seriously, Monte might be my favorite character from this series.
  • How Vernon leads up to Alex and Ace’s first time together. She didn’t rush into it. She built up to the moment, and it was rather sweet.

What I didn’t like about How to Marry an Alien:
  • This is only going to include one thing because I honestly did like this installment: the ending. My only issue with the ending was that I felt it was rushed. I would have loved to see the “fight” developed a bit more as I felt as though it ended too quickly. That was honestly my only issue with this book.

I know that some readers are hesitant to read self-published books, and that is understandable, but Vernon’s My Alien Romance series is an indie series worth taking a chance on.

View all my reviews

Purchase the first two books in the My Alien Romance series:

No comments:

Post a Comment