6.17.2012

Teasers.

I spent five hours yesterday editing the first fifty pages of Submerged. Yeah. My head hurts more than you even know, haha. I've been working on this book for close to a year now (I usually knock out a first draft within a month, not a year). To say this book is driving me bonkers may actually be putting it nicely. It isn't that I don't know where the story is going, because I do, I just can't seem to focus enough to write right now. But don't worry, I'm more than halfway done, so it will be ready by December (the latest).

Since I'm taking a break from editing, I figured I'd post teasers from Capture, Is Love, Program 13 and Submerged. I've posted teasers for the three novels before, but this is the first teaser from Is Love. Hopefully you guys like it, as it'll be coming out in September/October of this year.

"Capture" teaser:

Sparks emerged from the tips of his fingers. The man twisted around, breaking the hold he had on me almost instantly. He threw his hands forward causing the sparks to launch out at the bystanders. They did not react. They did not even try to move. Even if they did attempt to run away, there was no way they would have managed to escape. He was far too powerful.
The guards stood by unsure of what to do. The fifteen people the man had struck stood frozen, their bodies lit up by the sparks burning underneath their skin. As the sparks ran their course, their bodies fell to the ground – shattering into pieces. Fifteen lives destroyed for no reason whatsoever. Fifteen of my fellow residents turned into shattered remains. We stood there stunned, unable to make sense of what was going on around us. I wanted to run - to get away - but my feet remained planted firmly in the dirt below.

"Program 13" teaser:

The leather straps constrict my wrists forcing me to endure the electric current soaring through my body. With each jolt of energy, the wires beneath my skin buzz, sending a shrill throughout my core. Programmed to respond to pain, my body flings forward involuntarily. “Pain is a natural reaction,” they tell us. “It’s a part of being human. It is something you will better understand once your human identity is finally installed.”
But no matter how much I may look human, I’m not.
I am a Program, a machine built to appear human.
The straps dig into my skin, tearing it slightly. I can feel the cold brushing against the metal surrounding the wires beneath the break. The tearing doesn’t hurt, but my Program reacts as though it does. The Scientists want to see how we react to pain. They want to believe we are capable of acting human.
This body, this skin, it is a cover for what I truly am. “They do not have enough experience with your kind,” the White Coats say. “We just want to make sure you are safe out there. This is your world, too.”
At least, that is what they tell me.

"Submerged" teaser:

“What did ya say, girl?”
“I said nice name.”
General Hack stepped in front of me, his nose pressed to mine. He curled his top lip, revealing the rotted teeth beneath. He reeked of smoke and alcohol, and his skin was leathery from sun damage. He was the most atrocious being I’d managed to come across thus far. “You will not disrespect me, do you understand?”
“Sure, sure.”
The General lowered his hand towards his waist, preparing to remove the pistol that hung from his holster. I should have been scared. I should have been terrified, but I wasn’t. At least death would allow me to escape this hellhole. There was a clicking noise from behind the General. Lex had his pistol pointed at General Hack. “And what do you think you’re doing?”
“I’m doing the boss a favor by getting rid of this low life,” the man laughed. “What does it look like I’m doing?”
“I’m going to suggest you move that hand off your gun old man.” Lex made no intention of backing down. I watched in surprise as he tightened his grip on the pistol. His eyes remained locked on General Hack with intent. One false move, one slip of the hand, and he’d be done for.

"Is Love" teaser:

“Ridley Mulligan, do you understand your crime?” the judge’s voice echoed throughout the marble hall.
“No, Sir. I’m afraid I do not.” I folded my hands in my lap, trying to appear calm. Even though I could feel the anxiety creeping through, trying to break through the false courage I presented to the council.

"Capture" and "Program 13" are off in edits, so the text may vary upon the release in August.

And that's that.

<3 you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment