7.18.2016

Book Review: Rose Petal Graves (The Lost Clan #1) by Olivia Wildenstein

Rose Petal GravesRose Petal Graves by Olivia Wildenstein
Review Copy: Provided via NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon

Description From Goodreads:
Ancient secrets cannot remain buried forever.

Founded two centuries ago by an aloof and powerful tribe of Gottwa Indians, Rowan was a quiet town, so quiet that I fled after graduation. Staying away was the plan, but Mom died suddenly, so I rushed home.

Dad said she suffered a stroke after she dug up one of the ancient graves in our backyard, which happens to be the town cemetery. Creepy, I know. Creepier still, there was no corpse inside the old coffin, only fresh rose petals.

As we made preparations for Mom’s burial, Cruz, the new medical examiner, arrived. I should have felt relieved, but how could I? He was unnervingly handsome, glowed like a human firefly, and knew absolutely nothing about examining dead bodies.

But, he did know what killed my mother…or rather who.


My Review:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm not typically a big fan of fae books, but the description for Rose Petal Graves immediately pulled me in when I read it on NetGalley. In this book, Wildenstein has crafted a unique tale full of romance, betrayal, and mystery. Although the novel is on the shorter side, Wildenstein has wonderfully set up a series here, giving readers just enough information and background to stick with her going forward.

The story begins with the death of Cat's mother. A rather somber subject to begin a series off on, sure, but it's her mother's death that ultimately sets Cat on a new and mysterious journey over the course of Rose Petal Graves. What makes Wildenstein's take on fae standout is the rich history she provides for not only the fae, but also Cat's family. Not only does she craft this rich world, full of intriguing and complex characters, but she also takes the usual tropes in those books and adds her own flair to them.

Although Cat did come off as unlikable from time to time, I could understand her actions given the fact that she was still grieving. And then add in the fact that she'd had this entire new world and mythology thrust upon her? Cat's frustration and anger made sense. I'm hoping that going forward, however, we'll see another side to Cat, especially as things continue between her and Cruz.

Overall, Rose Petal Graves is a thoroughly enjoyable read and I'm already anticipating the sequel!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment