8.17.2012

Book Review: Settling (Solid #2) by Shelley Workinger

Settling (Solid #2)Settling by Shelley Workinger
Paperback, First Edition, 242 pages
Published: July 4th 2011 by CreateSpace 
Review Copy: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon -- Barnes & Noble

Description from Goodreads:
At the beginning of the summer, Clio Kaid was one of a hundred teens brought to a secret Army installation. But it was no ordinary camp and they weren’t ordinary kids…

Picking up where “Solid” left off, Clio and her friends realize that they aren’t ready to go home; they’re determined to stay on campus and continue their journey of self- discovery. But someone doesn’t feel the same way and will do anything to drive them away – even kill.

Friendships will be tested, abilities will evolve, and more secrets will come out as the teens race to stop the killer before he sets his sights on one of them…


My Review:

If there was one series that I wish more readers knew about, I’d say it was the “Solid” series by Shelley Workinger.

I read “Solid” last year and absolutely loved it. Shelley has truly crafted a unique series with “Solid”, a story with a fantastic plot and loveable characters. I’m not sure why I waited so long to dive into “Settling”, but I’m glad that I finally decided to pick it up earlier this week, because I actually loved it more than the first book.

“Settling” picks up shortly after where “Solid” leaves off. After Clio and her friends stop an attack on campus, life on campus seems to be settling into a sort of normalcy; for a while, at least.

But soon enough, there’s an attack on campus that sends their world into another whirlwind. Everyone is worried, but Clio seems the most affected – more on edge than usual. And her uneasiness will lead to her making mistakes that can change everything.

I adore the characters in the “Solid” series, but Clio is my favorite. Some readers may not agree with the turn she takes in “Settling”, but I’m glad that Workinger allowed Clio to make mistakes. She’s a teenager. She’s still adjusting to this new life – she’s on her own at a secluded campus, only able to speak to her mother via her cell or Skype, she’s just found out that she is one of a hundred children to have been born with a power, and she’s found herself in a relationship with a boy that she hardly knows. Of course she’s going to question her choices and act out; it’s a part of growing up. In actuality, Clio’s uncertainty helped to make her more relatable. It allowed me to feel more connected to the story.

I can’t wait to see what Workinger has in store for the third book, “Sound”. If it is anything like “Solid” and “Settling”, I’m sure it will be absolutely fantastic.

You can read my review for "Solid" here.

View all my reviews

See? Even my dog thinks you should read "Settling":

 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dog! Reminds me of my (RIP) Sturgis. <3
    I don't know if yours is a full shepherd or a mix (like mine was), but I love that face :) (And the taste in books.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a mix - she was a stray that we took in, so we're not entirely sure what she's mixed with. But thank you, she is a cutie. :)

      Delete